At St Michael’s School it is our intent to provide an inclusive, high-quality, progressive physical education curriculum, which inspires every child to develop a love of physical activity and sport, regardless of their starting points or their prior experiences. Our PE curriculum aims to ensure that all pupils develop physical literacy and the fundamental knowledge, understanding and skills to excel in a wide range of physical activities, by providing a broad, balanced and inclusive curriculum with opportunities for all. The curriculum that we provide develops our pupils’ skills, knowledge and understanding, alongside building character and embedding values such as fairness and respect. We intend that our children will leave Year 6 feeling competent, confident and capable with the ability to lead healthy and active lives.
Here at St. Michael’s School, all pupils receive 2 lessons of PE per week, with additional physical activity and sport opportunities taking place throughout the year. We provide opportunities for pupils to participate in competitive sports and activities in a safe and supportive environment both in and beyond the curriculum, where effort and hard work, as well as success, is celebrated. This will mean that all pupils have the opportunity to participate in regular competitive sport and physical activities; giving them the prospect of understanding what competition feels like, what it is like to be part of a team, and to be able to both win and lose with equal grace and respect. Our PE curriculum will contribute to promote healthy and active lifestyles; improve emotional well-being and develop key skills such as leadership, confidence and self-discipline. It will also contribute to the development of a range of important cognitive skills, such as decision making and analysis, and social skills such as teamwork and communication.
At St. Michael’s C of E School our Vision is to provide the highest quality PE for all children, of all abilities, to ensure the following Pupil Outcomes:
- Pupils will enjoy PE and School sport.
- Pupils will be committed to PE and sport, value it and make it part of their lives – both in and out of school.
- Pupils will know and understand what they are trying to achieve in PE and analyse and evaluate their success.
- Pupils will understand that PE and sport are an important part of a healthy, active lifestyle.
- Pupils will gain in self-confidence by getting involved in PE and sport.
- Pupils will develop the skills and techniques they need to take part in PE and sport.
- Pupils will show a desire to improve and achieve to the highest levels in relation to their own abilities and potential.
- Pupils will develop stamina, suppleness, strength and speed to enable them to become live long participants in sport and exercise.